Legal Decision Making and Parenting Time Form Criteria

Legal Decision Making and Parenting time is more commonly known as custody. Please be aware that custody can be a difficult thing for parents to set up and agree to.  You are encouraged to Visit a Law Library for general guidance.

Prior to filing a custody order you will need the following:

  • Time and patience
  • Names and dates of birth of children
  • Proof of paternity (birth certificate, acknowledgment signed by the father, adoption order listing both parents, or a court order establishing paternity)
  • Social security numbers for parents and children
  • Current employer information for both parents (if known)
  • Addresses and phone numbers for the both parents
  • Know what parenting time agreement you wish to have
  • Know what decision-making agreement you wish to have
  • Know who will be responsible for the payments on medical, dental, and vision insurance
  • ATLAS number (if applicable)
  • Case number on child support papers
  • If an interpreter is needed, you make the request when filing occurs

You can set up a court order for legal decision-making and parenting time (custody) if:

  • You are the natural or adoptive parent of the minor child
  • You are not legally married to the other parent
  • Paternity has been decided
  • The child has lived in Arizona for at least 6 months (or from birth) before you file
  • You want a court order saying what state the child lives in or who is the decision maker when it comes to the child

County Forms

Form Criteria

Custody FAQ

Case Information

Court Logo

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | About Us

© , Arizona Bar Foundation | All Rights Reserved

This website has been prepared for general information purposes only. The information on this website is not legal advice. Legal advice is dependent upon the specific circumstances of each situation. Also, the law may vary from state-to-state or county-to-county, so that some information in this website may not be correct for your situation. Finally, the information contained on this website is not guaranteed to be up to date. Therefore, the information contained in this website cannot replace the advice of competent legal counsel licensed in your jurisdiction.