A- A A+

FAQ - Child Support

I am sure the other parent is willing to pay support.  Can we make an agreement between ourselves and present it to the court?

When parents can cooperate and agree, it makes establishing a child support order easier. You may also retain an attorney you want to represent you or go through a mediator or a family counselor. The sole interest of the court in your agreement is to ensure that it is fair to everyone involved, that the interests of the child(ren) are protected and that the agreement conforms to the mandatory child support guidelines. If you are currently receiving public assistance or have in the past, the state will be notified of the hearing date because you assigned your monthly current support to the state when you were on assistance.

Response provided by the Department of Child Support Services