Traffic Violation Information

The resources listed below assist individuals who are are looking for information on how to claim responsibility for or defend against a civil or criminal traffic violation.

Additional Resources:

Arizona Judicial Branch - Traffic Law Information

Frequently Asked Questions on Civil Appeals

Frequently Asked Questions in Civil Cases

Court Locations

Denying Responsibility and Requesting a Hearing

If you chose to deny responsibility for the civil traffic violation you can request a hearing.


Paying a Fine by Mail

If you received an envelope from the officer that issued you the citation, the information on how to pay by mail should be contained within the envelope.
If you did not receive an envelope from the officer, you will need to contact the specified court.  Please click here for court contact information.



Criminal Traffic Violations

If the offense on your citation/ticket is listed as a criminal violation, you must appear at the Justice Court listed on your ticket at the date and time specified.


Attend Defensive Driving School

If you choose to attend defensive driving school, and you are eligible to attend, do not pay your citation online.


Paying for Civil Traffic Citations

Contact the Municipal or Justice Court your citation lists to see what forms of payment are accepted (court contact information).  Courts are known to accept personal checks, money orders, cash, VISA, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover as payment.


Civil Traffic Violation Options

If you have received a civil traffic citation, you can respond in one of the following ways:

1) Attend defensive driving school
2) Admit responsibility and pay the civil penalty online (see if available at your court location)
3) Admit responsibility and pay the civil penalty
4) Deny responsibility and request a hearing


Civil Traffic Hearing Expectations

At a civil traffic hearing, the witnesses of the State, usually the officer who cited you, will attempt to prove that you committed the civil traffic violation on your citation.

Court Logo

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | About Us

© , Arizona Bar Foundation | All Rights Reserved

This website has been prepared for general information purposes only. The information on this website is not legal advice. Legal advice is dependent upon the specific circumstances of each situation. Also, the law may vary from state-to-state or county-to-county, so that some information in this website may not be correct for your situation. Finally, the information contained on this website is not guaranteed to be up to date. Therefore, the information contained in this website cannot replace the advice of competent legal counsel licensed in your jurisdiction.