A- A A+

The plans provided are to act as a guide in developing a parenting time plan that best suites the needs of the child as well as the parents.
They are recommendations, not required methods.

Recommended for children ages 2 to 5 years.

How it Works

Every week, the non-custodial parent has the child 3 times. One of the periods is for 3-6 hours and two overnights on consecutive days.




Parents may have two one-week periods separated by at least 4 weeks.  At least 30 days before the planned vacation, each parent must give the other parent written notice of the travel dates.  At least 3 days before travel, each parent must give detailed information to the other parent, including the places they will be going and how to reach the child or the parent during the vacation.


Parents should consider dividing holidays or special occasions in time blocks similar to their regular parenting time.

This plan should be chosen if

  • Parents have cared for the child about equally
  • Both now how to care for the child overnight
  • Live close enough to each other that the child will not have long car trips between the homes
  • Parents can communicate and cooperate with each other about the well-being of the child
  • Parents have been successfully following Plan 5 for some time


  • The child sees the non-custodial parent 3-5 days per week and the other parent almost daily



  • There are 3-5 exchanges each week, which might be difficult if the parents do not get along
  • The week may seem a bit "choppy" or broken up
  • Only Mondays are consistent every week