International Adoptions

In International adopting process, something important to consider is different countries have different processes when it comes to adopting.  Decide the country you want to adopt a child from, depending on that costs will vary. Make sure to be aware of laws relating to adoption in the country of your choice, as well as any travel restrictions.

Steps for Filing for Adoption:

  1. Choose an international adoption agency that abides by the Universal Accreditation Act of 2012 and is Hague-accredited
  2. Complete a home study
    1. Health record, criminal background, financial records, home inspection pre and post adoption
  3. Make sure you are eligible to adopt (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services)
    1. Hague Convention County- File form 1-800A
    2. Non-Hague Convention County- File form 1-600A
  4. You will be matched with a child once approved by the UCIS, apply for either a I-800 or I-600 for the child so make sure the child is eligible to immigrate to America
  5. Once the child is eligible you can apply for a U.S. visa, fill out the DS-260 form to the home country of the child for approval
  6. Once approved, plan your travel from anywhere between 4-8 weeks to the home country of the child. There will be an exit interview where you will receive a visa to take the child back to the United States.
    1. If both adoptive parents are present when adopting the child, you will be given an IH-3 (Hague) or an IR-3 (non-Hague) visa
    2. If only one parent is present you will be given an IH-4 (Hague) or IR-4(non-Hague) visa.
  7. After returning back to the United States apply for a social security number as well as a birth certificate for the child
  8. If you received a IH-3 or IR-3 visa the adopted is legally complete, however if you received a IH-4 or IR-4 visa then in order to finalize your adoption you need an Arizona certificate of adoption, proof of date and place of child’s adoption court ordered, and a court order finalizing and recognizing the adoption.

Related Resources:

U.S. Department of State - How to Adopt

Adoption Service Providers

Universal Accreditation Act of 2012

Intercountry Adoption Forms

Court Logo

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | About Us

© , Arizona Bar Foundation | All Rights Reserved

This website has been prepared for general information purposes only. The information on this website is not legal advice. Legal advice is dependent upon the specific circumstances of each situation. Also, the law may vary from state-to-state or county-to-county, so that some information in this website may not be correct for your situation. Finally, the information contained on this website is not guaranteed to be up to date. Therefore, the information contained in this website cannot replace the advice of competent legal counsel licensed in your jurisdiction.