A- A A+

FAQ - Legal Decision Making and Parenting Time (Custody)

How do I obtain a legal order for parenting time?

As with legal decision-making, the court may grant a parenting time order only in certain kinds of cases. Most frequently, parenting time is determined when the parents are seeking a legal separation or dissolution of marriage, or when parents are  asking the court to change a parenting time decision that was made in an earlier separation or dissolution case. Parenting time may also be ordered when one parent starts a court case to decide paternity (or maternity) of a child or after a voluntary acknowledgment of paternity. When a parent starts a court case for legal separation or dissolution, legal decision-making and parenting time automatically become issues for the court to decide if the parents cannot agree. After a decree of legal separation or dissolution has been granted, the  court still has authority to change (modify) an earlier parenting time order. Either parent may request in writing that the court decide what parenting time should be. The request is filed with the clerk  of the superior court and a filing fee is charged.