FAQ - Evictions

What to Know Before Going to Court

Eviction cases move quickly through the court system.  If the tenant disagrees with the allegations of the landlord, the tenant is encouraged to file a written answer.  The answer form, available from the appropriate Justice Court or online through Arizona TurboCourt, and allows the tenant to admit or deny the allegations and explain his or her position.  If the tenant cannot afford to pay the answer fee, he or she may apply for a waiver or deferral of that fee.  If a tenant believes that the landlord owes him or her money, the tenant may, under some circumstances file a counterclaim.  The summons states that a trial will occur on the date listed, but due to the high volume of cases, a trial may not occur then.  If the tenant fails to appear, and the landlord or their attorney is present, a judgment is entered against the tenant.  Tenants can represent themselves or arrange for lawyers to represent them; the court does not provide a lawyer.


Courthouse Virtual Tours

Legal Info Sheets - Eviction

Fee Waiver and Deferral Forms

Landlord Forms

Tenant Eviction Forms

Court Logo

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | About Us

© , Arizona Bar Foundation | All Rights Reserved

This website has been prepared for general information purposes only. The information on this website is not legal advice. Legal advice is dependent upon the specific circumstances of each situation. Also, the law may vary from state-to-state or county-to-county, so that some information in this website may not be correct for your situation. Finally, the information contained on this website is not guaranteed to be up to date. Therefore, the information contained in this website cannot replace the advice of competent legal counsel licensed in your jurisdiction.