FAQ - Domestic Violence and Harassment

What is harassment?

There are several different types of harassment under Arizona Law. You will need to determine which definition applies to your situation and then fill out the correct petition.

A person commits criminal harassment if they intentionally, or with the knowledge that they are bothering someone do one of the following:
1. Anonymously or otherwise contacts, communicates or causes a communication with another person by verbal, electronic, mechanical, telegraphic, telephonic or written means in a manner that harasses.
2. Continues to follow another person in or about a public place for no legitimate purpose after being asked to desist.
3. Repeatedly commits an act or acts that harass another person.
4. Surveils or causes another person to surveil a person for no legitimate purpose.
5. On more than one occasion makes a false report to a law enforcement, credit or social sector agency.
6. Interferes with the delivery of any public or regulated utility to a person.

For purposes of an injunction against harassment, harassment involves a series of acts that happened over any period of time that are purposefully directed at a specific person. The acts are those that serve no legitimate purpose and would cause a reasonable person to be seriously alarmed, annoyed, or harassed. A single incident, no matter how bothersome, does not constitute harassment for purposes of a protective order.

Court Logo

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | About Us

© , Arizona Bar Foundation | All Rights Reserved

This website has been prepared for general information purposes only. The information on this website is not legal advice. Legal advice is dependent upon the specific circumstances of each situation. Also, the law may vary from state-to-state or county-to-county, so that some information in this website may not be correct for your situation. Finally, the information contained on this website is not guaranteed to be up to date. Therefore, the information contained in this website cannot replace the advice of competent legal counsel licensed in your jurisdiction.