A- A A+

This information pertains to the those that are looking to set aside a conviction.  Set aside is not expungement; Arizona does not allow expungement.  Set asides petitions are filed in the courthouse that issued the conviction.

Please be aware that not all items may pertain to your situation.  You are encouraged to Visit a Law Library for general guidance.

Prior to filing a request for a set aside or restoration of civil rights you will need the following:

  • Time and patience
  • Gather the following documents, when available:
    • Documents of support (example: a letter of support from employer)
    • Certificate of Absolute Discharge from either the Arizona Department of Corrections or Federal Bureau of Prisons
  • Case number
  • Full name of the defendant
  • Information of every count of your conviction.  If there are more than 4, they will have to be added to the document by adding another piece of paper.
  • Explanation if one or more of the following have not been completed:
    • Terms of the sentence
    • Payment of victim restitution
    • Payment of monetary obligations
    • Terms of probation
  • Dates of:
    • Birthday of the defendant
    • Judgment of guilt
    • Previous set aside applications
    • Previous set aside judgments
  • Information related to other pending criminal charges
  • Reasoning as to why civil rights or firearm rights should be restored

Related Articles

Set Aside Forms

Criminal Violation FAQ

Courthouse Locations

Set Aside Legal Clinic